Southern Food Junkie World Famous Hot Dog Chili
Yesterday was the official “first day of Spring” and you know what that means, it is time for longer days and warmer weather. The time has come upon us when we break out our old grills and clean them up. We get out our bristle brushes and scrape off all the old crude from the previous grilling season. This signals the time through some hot dogs and hamburgers on the grill. We all know that nothing is better for a hot dog and hamburger (think Carolina burger) than good chili. After all, what is a hot dog without chili? We think it should be a crime. That is why we are finally sharing our world-famous (at least we think so, haha) Southern Food Junkie Chili with the world.
I developed this recipe about 1o years ago when my wife and I first moved into our first home together. We both love this Southern Food Junkie chili and love to a cookout on the grill. This chili has a good bit of heat to it so you can adjust that for your needs. What makes Southern Food Junkie Chili special is how thin it is. This is not a chunky chili. It has a very fine texture that is perfect for hot dogs and hamburgers. The method we use to cook it is what makes it so special. Make sure to follow the directions closely and you too can experience the world’s best chili. Drop us a comment and let us know if you tried it and how you liked it We always love to have feedback.
Southern Food Junkie Chili
- 1 lb Hamburger Meat
- 8 oz Tomato Sauce
- 1 16 oz water
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder Can substitute 1 clove of fresh garlic
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper Can omit if you do not want it spicy
- 1 med Onion Chopped fine
- 1/2 cup Ketchup
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tbsp Prepared Yellow Mustard
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
- Start with a small stock pot on medium high heat and add olive oil to the pot.
- Wait till oil is hot then add the chopped onion.
- After onion is translucent (about 5 mins) add your 16 ozs of water.
- Next, add the hamburger meat to the water and break the meat apart with a wooden spoon. The water will help the meat to break down real fine.
- Bring water to a boil then reduce heat to medium low.
- Add remaining ingredient and stir.
- Continue to check periodically and stir chili.
- Simmer till chili has reduced by half or you reach the desired consitensty you would prefer.